Deeper Sand - if you are looking for more!

Thursday, February 14, 2013

Excess

Lent = fasting
Fasting = less
less stuff, less of me, less distraction



This year day two of Lent coincides with Valentine's day - a day associated with excess. Been in the grocery store this week? Scads of balloons, flowers and candy everywhere. An outpouring of love. Or guilt.

My little grandson came home from preschool today with a bag of candy. I gave myself permission to eat some treats today that aren't good for my body because somehow eating junk is connected with being good to yourself in our society, and on this day. So on this second day of our journey to the cross I'm feasting on stuff that doesn't help nourish my soul or my body and it's in direct contradiction to the scripture in my morning devotional:
 Isaiah 58:5-7
Is this the kind of fast I have chosen,
only a day for a man to humble himself?
Is it only for bowing one’s head like a reed
and for lying on sackcloth and ashes?
Is that what you call a fast,
a day acceptable to the Lord?
“Is not this the kind of fasting I have chosen:
to loose the chains of injustice
and untie the cords of the yoke,
to set the oppressed free
and break every yoke?
Is it not to share your food with the hungry
and to provide the poor wanderer with shelter—
when you see the naked, to clothe him,
and not to turn away from your own flesh and blood?

Help me O Lord to look for the opportunities before me and to take action in your name. For truely, less is more when less brings more of you.

1 comment: